June 10, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

Good morning! 
Black thumb or not, these are
from my very own garden!

Well, without any intent on my part, it seems that my blog has, to date, been something of a cooking blog.  I swear I have other interests, and intend to share them with you over time, but so many wonderful recipes have fallen into my hands lately that I just can't keep to myself!  (And, let's face it, eating is kindof a daily thing... I tend to make dinner more often than I quilt, for example.)
So, without further ado, here's another recipe!  (And trust me, this is one you will definitely want to keep!!

What you will need for a 9 x 13" pan (I used 8 x 8, and, as always, very few measurements):
  1. Crust:
    1. 2 cups of flour 
    2. 3/4 cup shortening
    3. 1/4 cup icy water
    4. 1/2 teaspoon salt
    5. sugar (optional)
  2. Filling:
    1. 1 1/2 cups sugar (white or brown {I prefer brown})
    2. 4 cups rhubarb (or rhubarb/strawberry mix) - cut and/or sliced
    3. 3-4 tablespoons dry tapioca
    4. 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    5. 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    6. 3 eggs (beaten)
  3. Crunch topping:
    1. 3/4 cup flour
    2. 1/2 cup brown sugar
    3. 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
    4. 1/4 cup butter
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F, and grease the bottom of your pan.

In three separate bowls, combine your crust, filling and crunch (do not combine your butter into the crunch topping.)  I have found that the crust is a little bland, and people tend to eat the rest and leave the crust on the plate, so I started throwing in a dash of sugar to give it a little more 'umph'.

Once you have a nice paste for your crust, spread it on the bottom of your pan.  This can be a nightmare, let me tell you - I use a roller to save myself the headache.



Pour your filling over the crust.



Sprinkle your crunch topping over the filling.




Dot the top with butter. 



Bake for 40 minutes.

The result?  A sweet, cunchy, tart, beautiful crisp!  This, people, is what summer tastes like.  :)  YUM!



Please share any suggestions!!

~ Sarah

No comments: