June 20, 2011

Pretty Little Bench Cushion

What a glorious day we have here in NEPA!  I have been uber-busy-woman these last several days, and likely will continue in this vein for the next week.  So, when it came time to click on my "New Post" button, I thought, for a brief, sad moment, that I had nothing whatsoever to share!  But never fear, I found something afterall.  :)


I made this bench cushion for my charming foyer piece some time ago, but it was long before I was your blogger, and therefore, I didn't think to take photographs or notes as I made it.  *hangs head in shame*  So, since it would be unfair for me to give you a tutorial based solely on my memory of making it, I will simply tell you what I used, and more-or-less how I used it.  (This way there will be no bad directions!)

Supplies:
  1. Large piece of foam (the green stuff - what's it called?)
  2. Fabric
  3. Rope
  4. Buttons
  5. Embroidery thread
How I made it:

-->  I started by measuring my foam to fit the bench top, and trimming off the excess.  A word to the wise - measure before you go to the craft store and let them do the cutting.  (I didn't in this case because the idea came to me when I was staring at the foam at the store, and had no idea what size my little bench was.)

-->  I measured my fabric to fit the foam (plus a few extra inches for mistakes, which there always are.

-->  The piping was made using a long strip of fabric that I sewed around the rope (right-side-out) {this left a 'tail' on the edge of the piping that fit perfectly into the seam}

-->  I sewed the piping into the seams of the fabric (leaving one side open, like a pillowcase)

-->  I stuffed the foam into its new 'pillowcase' (no easy feat!)

-->  As with many projects, I sewed the last side by hand.

-->  Using a large, sturdy needle, I stitched embroidery thread on each side of the cushion, then added a button on each side of the thread.  I tied the most sturdy, magnificent knot I could make up.

And that's it!  I believe that this was a one-evening project, but if you were making smaller cushions (say, seat covers for wicker furniture) it would take even less time. 

Close-up of the piping.  I was
exceptionally pleased with the outcome.

Close-up of the button.  Note that the foam
puckers around it -- the knots are extremely tight..

So, there you have it!  This is something of a cheat day, I admit, but I'd rather cheat a little than leave you with nothing. ; )

~ Sarah

No comments: