June 13, 2011

Introducing... The "Duh" Post

"Duh." 

It just says so much, doesn't it?  It can have so many different meanings: "of course", "naturally", "why didn't I think of that?", and, fortunately, it has replaced the derogative: "wow, I feel very stupid."  It's a perfect example of an American word - so much implied with what is basically a glorified grunt. 

Grunt or not, I am personally a fan of 'duh'.  When used properly (with kindness and humor), it's particularly suitable for many situations.  Case in point: a new type of LwYH post, The Duh Post.

So, what is a 'duh' post, exactly?  Well, it's obvious little things that save time and energy, but not so many people think of.  For example, using a hair straightener for ironing fabric.  (What?  A straightener on fabric??  She's definitely nuts...)

I started this when I was making curtains for my mother - gossamer curtains that you can't actually iron because the fabric burns.  I couldn't, for the life of me, figure out how to hem them.  I could have googled, I suppose, but instead, I grabbed a straightener (what made me think of it in the first place, I'll never know.)  It worked beautifully! 

Since that time, I picked one up solely to hem pants, straighten ribbons, and a myriad of other small craftsy things.  You can plug it in right where you're sitting - no ironing board, no water, no mess.  A friend recently caught me ironing something small with it, and said, "I would never have thought to use that for ironing, but now that I see you doing it, it makes perfect sense!"  Yes, yes, it does. 

So I'll post obvious, helpful little things from time to time that make you say, "Ahh!  That certainly makes sense!"

Duh!  :)

~ Sarah

No comments: