July 1, 2011

Pretzel Wreaths

Hey, Readers!

I had intended to save this post until we get closer to Christmas, but it's a long way away, and I have nothing else prepped for posting.  It's not exclusively a Christmas gift, I suppose, but since I made them at Christmastime, I can't get it out of my head that they're Christmas-y.  In my opinion, the perfect atmosphere for a craft like this includes a cup of hot chocolate and "Sleigh Ride" playing in the background.  But I guess you could make it with iced tea and "Put Me In, Coach".  :)

I gave these away to our closest friends as a little 'treat'.  They're perfect for kids' gifts (as in, gifts they give to teachers, assistants, instructors, coaches) because they are fairly easy to make, and make a lovely presentation.  (It's also relatively inexpensive, and, well, let's face it... it's fun to get chocolate all over your hands.)

What you will need:
  1. Mini pretzels
  2. Cookie tray covered with wax paper
  3. Chocolate
  4. Double-boiler (or, if you're careful, a regular saucepan)
  5. Toppings (crushed peanuts, micro-mini-marshmallows, melted caramel, white chocolate, almonds, chocolate jimmies, etc...)
  6. Cellophane bags (optional)
  7. Ribbon (optional)
For each 'wreath', you will need 9 or 10 mini pretzels that are not broken.  To make the wreath, dip the bottom of each pretzel in the chocolate and lay flat on the wax paper.  Make one round layer of five, then another layer on top (of 4 or 5 - I preferred 5).  Before the chocolate completely solidifies, sprinkle your topping.  I found that caramel was by FAR the most popular (and, as I recall with a shudder, by far the most troublesome!)






 To give to friends, I put each wreath in a cellophane bag, and tied the top with a festive bow (sorry, didn't take a photo.)  They were absolutely lovely, and what's more, they were delicious.  



Happy Christmas in July!!

~ Sarah

No comments: