May 13, 2011

Green Thumb (NOT!)


Take a good look at my thumb -- yup!  It is black as can be.  Anything I try to plant dies (including those plants that are supposedly built to withstand an experience with someone like me!)  *sigh*

You would think it's in my blood, as my mother is an extraordinary gardener.  Growing up, we lived on, oh, I don't know, approximately 1 acre of land, but she fenced off a magnificent portion and planted...things.  She planted eight rows in her garden, and when I say 'rows', I mean 12-15 feet long by 4 feet wide.  She had raspberry bushes, corn, flowers, pumpkins, beans, asparagus, dill, rhubarb, and many other impressive things.  With her help, of course, my sister and I planted a half-row (which we shared) of vegetables and spices. 

And that row represents the only successful gardening I've ever done in my life.

I planted morning glories one year, and to my delight, little green things started popping up.  They never fully matured, however, as (this just in!) morning glories like sun, and I planted them in a charming spot around my deck that receives about 10 minutes of sun per day.  I planted a box of wildflower seeds one year on a barren portion of our yard, but, as it turns out, flowers aren't fond of rocks (who knew?) 

I did manage to successfully sow grass seed one year around the lamp post in my front yard.  This endeavor actually looked promising, until my dog decided it was perfect for something else, and the grass promptly withered.

My patient husband understands that gardening is to me what ironing is to him - I appreciate that there's a purpose to it, but can never have any hope of doing it myself.  He worked for a landscaping company for many years, and knows things about planting that just amaze me.  We have an understanding -- if we are looking at plants of any kind, he knows that, when I find one I fancy, it will be his job to keep the darn thing alive.  He just smiles.

Anyways, despite my black thumb, I have a deep appreciation for how the plants look.  I thought I'd share some pictures of what I see as I walk around my house, most of which I actually know the names of, if you can believe it.  That's all I have for you today.  Enjoy!!

  

Our back yard lilac bush - more like a tree.

Futia hanging baskets I bought over the weekend.  I haven't
had a chance to kill them yet -- give me a few more days.
 
Bleeding Heart in the front yard.


A lilac bush that "we" transplanted last year.
 
Some lovely little flowers in my yard.  I'm pretty
sure they're weeds, but who's to say? :-)
"A weed is just a flower out of place."























~ Sarah

No comments: