February 16, 2012

Converstion Hearts

Well, it has been nearly four weeks since I even thought about posting here, and almost two months since I actually posted something useful (last two were Instagram posts, if you can remember that far back.)  I would like to say I'm back, but I can't make any promises as to how consistently, since I'm still unwell (still?! yes, still.)  I'm thankful for modern medicine and old-fashioned prayer (though my new medicine has me dozing off in odd {and frequently embarassing, though funny} places...)  Simple tasks are still exhausting me, but I'm approaching things with more gusto.  And I'm eating again, which is helping immensely.  Can't express how thankful I am for Jayson, who has been waiting on me hand-and-foot, and for my job, which has let me work part-time indefinitely until I'm well enough for full-time again.  Also thankful for some very dear friends and family (you know who you are) who have stepped up to take care of things I couldn't.  I am on the road to recovery and will be myself again before long.  :-)

Well, as Maxine says, a very heartwarming thing happens in the middle of February every year: all the candy goes on clearance.  I'm a candy-lover, myself, and my husband is a bargain-lover.  Which means that we have a brand new stash of candy that would put Willy Wonka to shame. 

My personal favorites are the conversation hearts because of the things they put on them.  (Nothing says romance quite like "Tweet Me.")  They also remind me of a sweet/corny/silly thing I did for my wedding.  Around this time six years ago, my mother purchased pounds and pounds of candy hearts, literally tens of thousands, and together, we spent hours over several days pulling out all the hearts that said 'Marry Me.'  On my wedding day, I had my brother-in-law give several gifts to my soon-to-be-husband, including the box of special conversation hearts.  {Insert 'awww' here.} 

It wasn't until we returned from our honeymoon that I found out he hadn't even opened the box.  I was horrified.  (It's hilarious now... but that night, I felt like bursting into tears.)

And every year since then, he pulls out the 'Marry Me' hearts for me.  :-)  (I think it's his way of telling me he's still sorry.)


What are your Valentine's memories?

~ Sarah

No comments: