April 29, 2011

Potted Plant Gift


Happy Friday, all! 

I wanted to share a quick, easy idea that turns a store-bought gift into something a little more personal.  I have a dear friend who recently learned that her grandfather is not doing well, and so I wanted to give her something pretty to brighten her day.

I found this gorgeous, blue hydrangea at the store, and thought it would be perfect, except for the gaudy, shiny green paper that it came in.

I instantly planned to do a quick makeover when I got home.

I love the vibrant colors of the blue hydrangeas.  So pretty!


Then, I dove into my vast collection of wrapping supplies, found a cheery, pretty paper and a soft cream ribbon.  I didn't measure the paper... I more-or-less "eyeballed" it.  Always go with much more than you think you'll actually need, as it's easier to cut after the fact than have to start over.   

I'm pretty sure this paper came from Party City, although
Target also has a number of beautiful papers on hand.



Make sure you leave the store paper on the plant!  This is important because the paper is designed to contain moisture, and your wrapping paper is not.  If you like, you can trim the paper down to the size of the pot before covering it, but I didn't bother (I knew I had enough paper to completely conceal the green.)

Next, just gather the pretty paper up around the pot and tie the ribbon to hold it in place.  The easiest way to do this is to have someone help you (in my case, it was my fabulous hubby who rescued me).  If you want to tape it, you can, but it's not necessary. 


And there you have it!  A quick, beautiful gift to let someone know you're thinking of them that feels homemade when, in fact, it's just homefixed!

~ Sarah

No comments: