January 3, 2012

Log Cabin Quilt Part 3

Happy new year to all!  I hate to jump the gun on wishing people a happy new year, so I continually wish everyone a happy old year until midnight has come.  But now that we're actually three days into the new year, I can express that I hope it will be happy and joyous for you all.

I am pleased to be able to brag that my year began beautifully.  Pizza with family, snuggling on the couch with Jayson, Remi and Gracie, watching good movies, quilting, and receiving a free coffee voucher for the long wait (which we didn't even notice.)  Side note: why do customers berate the poor workers when they're backed up and things aren't very speedy?  It's beyond me.  We thoroughly enjoyed our time in the drive-through - we could see an intersection near two large department stores and laughed continually at irate drivers.  We exchanged random thoughts about nonsense and sang along with the radio.  When the time came to receive our coffee, it had passed altogether too quickly, and the worker at the window kept apologizing profusely.  We exchanged a bewildered look, assured him we had no idea what he was talking about, and wound up with a voucher anyway.  He insisted that we accept simply for being his nicest customers that day.

So, back to the part where I mentioned quilting.  I've been itching for a break in my projects so that I could once again turn my attention to my log cabin quilt from earlier this year, and I'm pleased that I finally found one.  I finished piecing the squares together in a single afternoon, and I'm very happy with the result:



A close-up of one section:


Now it's time for my least favorite part - the quilt sandwich.  It's not that quilting is odious to me, but I never do it properly -- there are always puckers and things that need to be re-done.  I chose a thick, tan fleece as the backing, since I plan for this to be more practical than anything else, and doubled up on the batting so it would be thick and very, very warm. 

I chose to tie this quilt, partly because I think it's a good look for this style, and partly because I'm anxious to have it done, and tying is a fast shortcut.



I found that it was very difficult to keep Gracie and Remington off of my project, so in the end I gave up and worked around them.  ;)


I finished tying last night, and if I manage to finish the border tonight (*insert laugh here*) it will be ready for use. 

~ Sarah

No comments: