November 14, 2011

Pretty Paper Ornaments

Gosh, does it feel good to be working on craft projects again!  I thought I'd get started on Christmas decorations, since, well, the Christmas season begins next Friday.  (Is it just me, or did it sneak up on us this year??)

I loved this idea - I came up with it myself but I'm certain I'm not the only person who's ever done something like this.  But, for the record, I didn't see ornaments like this and duplicate them -- they actually came from my own mind.  ;)

What you will need:
  1. Cardstock in various colors that match (and closely match) your theme
  2. Big hole punch (mine is 2")
  3. Glue (like Elmer's, or paper glue, etc)
  4. thin ribbon
  5. a really good movie (optional)
  6. cup of tea (also optional)


Begin by punching out quite a few circles of your selected cardstock.  Fold every circle in half with the pattern inside.

Start gluing your circles together.  I didn't make any two the same, at least on purpose, so they looked like a mismatched, colorful little band of 3-D circles.  I was exceptionally pleased with them.






Cut your ribbon into strips (something like 10" long) - I did some longer, some shorter.  Fold them in half, and tie a basic knot at the ribbon ends, forming a loop.


The ornaments should have a natural gap in the center of the circles (see photos above), which the ribbon slides through comfortably. 


And you're done!!  Before I knew it, I had made almost 20 of them, but unfortunately I had the colors wrong for the person I was making them for (it wasn't purple - it was gold.  Durn it.)  So this turned out to be a test run.  A very successful test run, I might add.  Hopefully by the time I do the real ornaments, my new phone will be here and the pictures will be much better.  ;)

Happy Monday!

~ Sarah

6 comments:

Amy said...

New phone?!! What happend to Suki? Oh, and these are lovely, as usual.

Sarah said...

Ahh, Suki's a little hard-of-hearing these days. (Microphone hasn't worked in weeks.) But Siri will be here to keep me company (hopefully) within the next few days... I plan to have lots of fun with her!
And thank you!

Anonymous said...

I have made these with the kids before for autumn. Just use orange patterned papers with green ribbon stems, and you can have really cute pumpkins.

Sarah said...

What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

debcom said...

these are so cute, just making these with my 6 yr old and some Christmas cardstock. How many circles per ornament did yo use??

Sarah said...

I actually made them all different... Anywhere from 6 to 12 is what I did, but it works better if you use 8-10. With 6, there's not a gap large enough to thread ribbon through, and with 12, the gap was a little too large.
Thanks for visiting!